Top 5 Well Rated Fish Finder Reviews
Finding the best Fish Finder can sometimes be quite a task; this is probably the reason you found yourself here. As a fisherman or a fisherwoman, you have probably bought various types of fish finders in the past, but they never performed to your satisfaction. This is the right place for you; the article offers well-researched fishfinder reviews that may just end your pursuit for the best one.
What to Consider When Choosing a Fish Finder?
You have probably found yourself in a difficult situation when trying to choose a fish finder that best suits your needs. Here are some of the factors that you can consider when selecting a Fish Finder that suits your needs.
The transducer is the primary component of the fish locator, and it works by sending sound waves into the water and acquiring the details of objects located in the water. The most important feature when choosing a transducer is the cone angle.
The bigger the degree on the cone the more the coverage of the underwater. However, wider beams lose strength quickly and therefore cannot go as deep as the narrow cone. Fortunately, both capabilities can be found in the dual beam or multiple beam type of transducers.
2. Display Size, Resolution, and Color
Displays with more pixels are clearer and more expensive. A bigger screen size will similarly provide a better and more unobstructed view that will enable you to differentiate the data. Additionally, colored displays provide more details, easier viewing of underwater and enhanced usability in bright light but black and white screens are cheaper.
The power of the Fish Finder is also an important feature to consider when choosing one. A fish finder with more watts is more efficient, exhibit better speed when displaying readings and is suited for deep waters.
The amount of detail displayed on the screen is usually determined by the frequency of the transducer. Therefore a higher rate will provide you more information than a lower frequency.
Depending on your needs, you may go for a self-contained portable fish finder or a fixed one that needs to be attached to the boat.
6. Inclusivity of the Package
Some Fish Finders have an inbuilt GPS while others don’t have. You should, therefore, check whether the Fish Finder you want to buy has an inbuilt GPS or not. A GPS is vital in calculating your exact position and an important feature of fishing as well. Therefore it is more convenient, economical and space saving to have it in one unit.
Best Fish Finder: Quick Comparison?
Top 5 Recommended Best Fish Finders
1. Lowrance Elite – 7X
It features the current technology, and the output is clear and detailed. The combination of the CHIRP (Compressed High-Intensity Radar Pulse) technology, WiFi connectivity, touch screen, side imaging, down imaging and the user-friendly interface makes Lowrance 7X Fishfinder one of the best fish finders in a market.
- It has a seven-inch widescreen with excellent resolution, contrast, and brightness that can enable you to view details in sunlight and even at a wide angle.
- The back light of its keypad and screen can be regulated to enhance viewing and usability during the day and at night.
- The sounder of this fish finder has an RMS power of 250 watts and 83/200 kHz frequency.
- The characteristic 455/800 KHz frequency of the Down scan sonar provides high definition information of the things underneath the water and the structure of the bottom as well.
- This frequency provides a deeper imaging and wider coverage.
- The advanced Down Scan Imaging exhibited by Lowrance provides a photographic kind of viewing of information such as the predator fish, bait-fish and the bottom structure.
- It comes with the power cable and transducersIt comes with the power cable and transducers
- It also supports 31 languages and has a unit support meter that can allow you to change settings to metric.
#2 Garmin Echo 100
Garmin Echo 100 is also one of the best-rated fish finders on Amazon. It is one of the fish finders that offer a broad range of features at the considerably low price. It features innovative technology of tracking the target and obtaining the information of the objects being tracked such as the fish and the bottom structure.
- It has single beam sonar with RMS power of 100 watts and 200 KHz frequency that can enable you to monitor up to depth 600 feet underwater.
- It is a small unit and therefore well suited for small crafts.
- It also has a backlight, and it can show temperatures.
- It comes with transducers, mounting brackets, and hardware.
- It cost less than $200 thus can be afforded by many fishermen and women.
#3 Raymarine Dragonfly Fish Finder
Raymarine Dragonfly is the highest rated Fish Finder on Amazon; probably because it’s a new product and has been rated by fewer people. It has features that would otherwise be found in more expensive units. The new models in the market would cost you around $600.
Raymarine Dragonfly Fishfinder features the latest technology of fish finders called CHIRP that works by transmitting a signal that sweeps systematically upwards in a given range of frequency. With this technology the fish finder provides high-resolution photographic kind of imagery that enhances viewing of details.
- The 5.7 inches display is wide enough to facilitate reading of underwater information, and the 1600 nits provide clear view even in bright sunlight
- The digital sonar engine is powerful enough to display the down vision and the sonar images simultaneously.
- This unit also comprises an internal GPS that is characterized by fast-acquisition technology.
- It comes with transom mount transducer and a quick release swivel bracket that quickens and eases installation of the fish finder.
- It has the latest version of Naviotics+, and it comes with the American maps for easy navigation.
#4 Garmin Echo 551DV
The Garmin Echo 551DV is my favorite type of fish finder because of its excellent capabilities and small price. It is one of the latest and more innovative units in the Garmin series of fish finders. It offers a big bright display and great fishing sonar.
It features 5 inches large display with the capability of zooming vertical and horizontally as well as the capability of splitting the screen to enhance viewing of down image and broadband sonar side by side.
- The power of the transducer is 500 watts, and it permits the wave to go up to 2300 feet deep. The dual beam transducer uses both a single frequency of 77/200 KHZ and a dual frequency of 50/200 KHz.
- It utilizes technology that provides a photographic kind of imagery that enhances viewing of fish and the structure beneath the boat.
- Other characteristic features include audio alarm, waterproof, transom mount, quick release tilt swivel and low-profile trolling motor transducer.
- It cost around $400 and can, therefore, be afforded by many people.
#5 Lowrance Elite – 5X HDI
Lowrance Elite – 5X HDI enjoys an excellent rating for its features. It has a user-friendly interface, a hybrid dual imaging sounder, and a bright five-inch colored display.
- This fish finder has a power of 250 watts and a frequency of 50 KHz that can provide readings of objects underwater up to 1000 feet.
- It combines traditional down scan imaging, broadband sounder and the current HDI technology that gives high-resolution imagery.
- It also features an innovative signal processing technology that eases the use of the model.
- The advanced technology exhibited by the unit allows automatic adjustment of the readings apparently to show the bottom structure and the fish as well as splitting the display up to three viewing panels.
So Which is the Best Fish Finder?
Having gone through the factors to consider when choosing a Fish Finder and the reviews of the five types of Fish Finders, I would select Garmin Echo 551DV as the best fish finder. It has a clear 5 inches large screen that enables viewing of more details and can be vertically and horizontally zoomed to differentiate objects beneath.
The display can also be split to view the down image and the broadband sonar side by side. The considerably powerful 500watt dual beam transducer with a frequency of 77/200 KHz and dual frequency of 50/200 KHz can permit the wave to go up to 2300 feet and still provide a wider view of the underwater objects and structure.
Garmin Echo 551DV makes use of advanced technology that provides photographic kind of imagery to enhance viewing of fish and the structure underneath the boat. It is also a waterproof unit, and it includes other features such as audio alarm, transom mount, quick release tilt swivel and low-profile trolling motor transducer.
All these features and technology involved are offered at a good price. IMO this product has taken care of almost all the considerations including your pocket as a fisherman or woman.
Image Credit: Amazon